Welcome!

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."
~Angela Schwindt

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tracking Your Child's Height In Style

     Many parents like to keep track of their child's height in a visual way. The old school way was to write directly on the wall in pencil; and now many parents buy growth charts in varying styles to keep track of their child's growth. In my children's bathroom I wanted to do something a little different; something that also didn't take up a ton of space. Here is what I came up with below:
     I bought all the supplies for this project, including the adhesive measuring tape, at a craft store. It measured 12 inches and then repeated all the way to 7 feet. I placed the measuring tape along the wood moulding of the door frame using hot glue in a few places to ensure it would hold. I wanted to indicate the place where it switched over to the next foot so I wrote the numbers on wooden circles and glued them on to the appropriate place on the tape.
     Next came the fun part. I let each child choose a pre-painted, wooden decoration to be their height marker for their current height. I wanted it to match my beach/sea theme so I gave them choices within that catagory. Tip: If you want to record their height more often consider the sizing of the height markers. The smaller they are, the more often you can record.
     Finally, using a paint marker, I wrote each child's name and age on their woooden decoration, measured their height, and hot glued the decoration to the wall. I love this growth chart because it is personalized to the design of the bathroom, is adorable, and takes up very minimal space visually and physically. This is a very simple and low budget project.....I love that combination!

No comments: