1. Make sure your surface is clean and smooth. If necessary you can lightly sand the surface with fine sandpaper.
2. Using a paintbrush, apply the chalkboard paint in one direction (vertical, or horizontal).
3. Let the first coat dry according to the time frame indicated on your product.
4. When dry, brush on your second coat in the opposite direction of your first coat. This method will create a crosshatch pattern which is ideal for a chalkboard surface.
5. Repeat until you achieve your desired coverage. I have found 3 to 4 coats to be best.
6. When dry enjoy your new and playful piece of furniture!
I hope you have fun! I know you are probably already thinking of other ways to use chalkboard paint.......I warned you it is a designer's addiction!